Sunday, December 07, 2008

Christmas is coming soon!

Abbie & Matt
Sophie & Matt
our "elf on the shelf" in our Christmas tree


Abbie & Sophie all dressed up

We've been busy with a little bit of a lot of different things which is common for this time of year I guess. We got the house decorated for Christmas this past week. I REALLY didn't want to put up our big tree this year (which I know is probably terrible if you have a 3 1/2 year old) but I also have a 10 month old who loves to cruise and is walking some too and puts everything in her mouth. Plus, we won't be around much at Christmas this year. However, we went ahead and put the tree up (mostly because Matt just went ahead and assembled it and I felt guilty). After I had finished decorating it the next day, Sophie at some point said, "Mama, I think we have the prettiest tree ever!" That statement made it all worth it! Of course, we have the challenge of keeping things out of Abbie's mouth but this year we have our big plastic corral around our tree to somewhat keep her out of the tree.

Sophie really enjoyed helping me decorate a little bit (not much though) and "helping" me wrap presents. She loves getting out tape, scissors, paper, and all that to create things. As you can see, Abbie likes to stick out her tongue and she has new teeth trying to come through. This year, Matt had seen the "elf on the shelf" set at a local store and told me about it. We thought about getting it but didn't rush right out and buy one. Then, we heard about them from a couple of our friends and we've had so much fun with it! The story tells you about a special elf who comes to your house from the North Pole. He will be watching children all of the time to see if they are naughty or nice. Then, he goes and talks to Santa each night to give him a report. He flies back each night while your children are sleeping. Therefore, each morning the Elf is in a new place. Sophie asks so many questions though and she thinks very analytically like her Daddy so I got a little concerned even the first day that this might not have been such a great idea. She asks a lot of questions trying to figure things out. It's been fun each morning though and if she misbehaves, we say, "the elf is watching you" or Matt just says, "elf on the shelf". It's pretty funny! Today, she told me that the elf would probably come back next year but Abbie would be the only child. I said, "and you, Sophie." She said, "No, I will probably grow up this year." I said, you'll still be a little girl next year. Sometimes Sophie does speak like a little adult.

Also, a fun thing to do with your child even if you don't have an elf on the shelf is to check out this website and it will take you on a tour of the North Pole and let you see Santa's workshop, etc. Thanks to Laura Beth for sharing this. Sophie & I had fun checking it out one day. It's so fun to experience Christmas and anticipate it's coming with a child!


The picture of Matt & Sophie was taken at the Discovery Center in Murfreesboro on an old truck. It had been about a year since we had been and they had added some new exhibits. They were having their Holiday Open House so there was free admission (which came as a surprise).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a cute thing elf on a shelf.I like anything that will help children to thing about behavior. Can't wait to see everyone. One excited grandmother.
Teresa