Saturday, July 25, 2009

Recent Zoo Visits

Abbie & Ella at the zoo
meerkats checking out the ice sculpture in their likeness
Sophie petting a baby goat

We've been to visit the zoo a couple of times recently. The first time was kind of rough because we met some friends there. They had already been there for a little bit with some other folks that they knew. Almost as soon as we caught up with the group, one of the little boys had fallen while running. His mouth started bleeding and it wouldn't stop! The whole group went to find a first aid station all while the little boy is hysterically crying. We get to the first aid station and once we tracked down the people who were supposed to be manning it, they acted like they had no clue what to do! The mom is telling them everything that she needs-ice, paper towels, etc. The first thing the women manning the station ask is for her to please fill out an incident report. Oh, thanks for the sympathy! The little boy's mom got kind of woozy after seeing her son's mouth bleeding so profusely and having to keep her cool the whole time. One of the other moms walked her out to her car. The rest of us were watching the other kids. Then, Sophie starts complaining that she has a blister on her foot and it's all I hear about from then on. Needless to say, I enjoyed seeing my friend, Suzanne, and her kids and meeting another mom and her kids (not the one whose child was injured) but it wasn't our best zoo experience. Suzanne and I have known each other since kindergarten. Both of our kids are close in age so it is fun to get together.

Fast forward to today. We went to the zoo for Ice Day. Sophie remembers how we went last year and had a fun time so she's been talking about it. Well, it was very busy! We got there in the morning but there was already a big crowd. Sophie and Matt enjoyed staying around while the meerkats received their ice treats-frozen Kool-aid with worms in it I think Matt said. Abbie and I moseyed on down to the petting zoo instead of staying for the keeper talk. Matt learned some fun facts about the meerkats. Since it was so busy we didn't try to see a ton of animals but we ate a picnic lunch there, tried to find shade wherever we could, enjoyed the petting zoo, and we HAD to get the FREE ICE CREAM! We got to see Gnash from the Predators, Snowbird, and the most hilarious thing I saw was a guy dressed as an ostrich running around! I wish that I had been able to get a picture of him.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: