Monday, June 22, 2009

The Happy Couples

Mr. & Mrs. Matt Thompson!
Thompson (Matt T.'s nephew) and Sophie

For a couple of months now, we have been getting excited about my cousin Keri's upcoming wedding to Matt Thompson. Keri and Matt both attended high school in Franklin but attended different schools and met about a year and a half ago. They became engaged in December and originally planned to wait and marry in February 2010 but soon decided they'd rather move it up and get married this summer. We have been involved in attending showers for them and getting things together because Keri asked Sophie to be her flower girl. I've been really excited about that because I've always thought it would be neat for her to be a flower girl and all of my family is special to me. Having Sophie in the wedding was fun too because my sister, Martha, and two of my other first cousins were among the bridesmaids.

On Friday, Sophie & I attended a bridesmaids luncheon in Leipers Fork, TN at the Twisted Fork Cafe. That night at the rehearsal, the little ring bearer was unable to come and practice escorting Sophie down the aisle because he had pneumonia. He was such a cutie though! Thompson, the ring bearer, is Matt Thompson's nephew and he's 2 1/2 years old. Sophie got to meet him later that night at the rehearsal dinner. He is so affectionate and cute.

It was so hot over the weekend of the wedding but we all made it through. Both the rehearsal dinner and the wedding itself were outside but there was a tarp type thing over the audience at the wedding. They got married in downtown Franklin at Monell's which used to be Lillie Belle's. The rehearsal dinner was at the Thompsons' home (Matt's parents). They have a wonderful backyard with lots of shade and plenty of space (lots of things for the kids to do too!). The food was wonderful. Keri and Matt's wedding was beautiful too! The food was great with lots of Southern food such as fried chicken, mac & cheese and the works.

I didn't know how Sophie would do as the flower girl. At the rehearsal, Sophie just cried and wouldn't go down the first time. The next time, I started bribing her with stuff and Aunt Martha got her to smile as she went down. At the actual wedding, I thought that Sophie might balk at the last minute (she almost did) but somehow she changed her tune and went on down the aisle. I stayed with her as long as I could and then sat in the back so I don't have pictures of her coming down but let me tell you, "she took her job seriously!" Sophie let Thompson, the ring bearer go on ahead of her. She managed to stop every so often and stoop slightly to drop some of her flower petals. By the time she got to the end of that aisle, she had distributed all of her flower petals. She stayed up there the entire time in front of Aunt Martha. After the wedding, of course there was food. Then, after a little bit they had dancing. Well, guess who came out of her shell and was out there for practically every song? You guessed it! Sophie. It was so funny. She danced with Thompson and this other little boy. On a couple of the dances, they had to ask her and the other little ones to move off the floor because they were doing a father/daughter dance, etc.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad everything went well for the wedding. Sophie and the ring bearer look so cute!!!! Can't wait to see a picture of them up close. She is one cute granddaughter.
Mimi

Julie said...

Sophie looks so pretty! THat is so neat that she got to do that!

Anonymous said...

Sophie looks like such a little princess! Her hair was really neat! Did you cry?? I think I would have - a little girl wearing a white dress...knowing someday all too soon it will probably be her coming down the aisle as the bride...I know, I'm pitiful!

Candie Bowen said...

How sweet! She looked beautiful!