Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Just the Girls

Abbie smiling at Aunt Martha
Sophie w/ Paula & Abbie
Sophie with her Barbie doll

This has been a very unusual week for us. Matt has been out of town for several days visiting his family in VA and now in NC for business. The trip to VA was an unplanned emergency kind of trip because his dad ended up needing to have quadruple heart bypass surgery this past Friday! Thankfully, Matt's dad, Tom, went to the doctor shortly after experiencing tightness in his chest and the doctor did an EKG. He was scheduled for the stent procedure the next day but during that procedure, they realized that he needed bypass surgery. Matt was able to change his travel plans and be in Richmond a few hours before his dad had the surgery. We are very thankful that Tom came through the surgery just fine and was able to go home today. I was so glad that Matt could go and be with his Dad but also nervous about being alone with a newborn and 2 1/2 year old for a week.

I just have to say "thank you, thank you, thank you" to those people who have really helped out and been lifesavers for us this week, especially my mom but also some of my good friends and other family members (you know who you are). Thank you so much for everything! This week has been so much better because of you.

OK, on a different note, Abbie has been smiling more and more and she's even laughed a couple of times! Poor thing, she's got a little cold right now. Plus, she's broken out pretty bad with baby acne and has cradle cap. This too shall pass! Her hair has looked like Tweety Bird the last couple of days because part of it sticks straight up in the back.

Sophie received a Barbie kitchen playset for Christmas and I put it away for a while. We got it out today and she loved it. One thing great about having children is that you get to go back and play with all these toys that you loved as a child (and you don't look crazy). Usually, they are made even better than when we were little. Like the Little People. I loved them when I was little but they came out with a lot cooler stuff later.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Hope everything is going ok for Matt's family. Glad to see that you girls are making it on your own. Abbie just keeps getting cuter! (Sophie is as cute as ever!) :)

Anonymous said...

Wish we could be there to see Abbie laugh and see Sophie's face as she tells us her news for the day.
Mimi & Paw Paw Tom

Kathy said...

I hate to hear about Matt's dad. I am glad the surgery went well. I know you are happy to have him home. It is hard to do things on your own; I can't imagine doing it with two!