This past weekend, we met Matt's parents in Abingdon, VA which is about halfway between where we live. There is a bike trail (the Creeper trail) that's about 30 miles long. Matt and his mom, Teresa, both wanted to try riding bikes on this trail. Train tracks used to come through there many years ago and then they changed it into a biking/walking/running trail. You can ride a shuttle up to the top of where the trail starts and then ride down to the end. Actually, you ride about half of the trail when you take the shuttle up and then ride down. There are some little places you can stop along the way to eat or use the restroom, etc. Anyway, I guess we were not thinking too clearly that day (and I was being a submissive wife I guess) because we should have rented a bike for Abbie where she could have ridden behind Matt. None of us knew exactly what we were in for but we knew it was supposed to take a couple of hours and that the trail was on a downward slope so people had said you could coast for a lot of the trail. With that being said, the girls did not really grasp the meaning of coasting for a long way down a trail. Abbie pedaled and pedaled and gave out before she got to the halfway point. Sophie did really well but she was tired for the last few miles. We stopped in the middle of the trail and had lunch. The problem was Abbie had gotten so tired that she got off her bike and started walking. Teresa, Matt's mom, was trying to keep Abbie moving and transport the bikes.
It really was a beautiful trail and a lovely day but it was a crazy day for our group. Let me back up for just a second. When we were on mile 2 or 3 of the trail, Tom, Matt's dad, and I had ridden ahead a little bit. Then, we stopped and waited for a while for the others to catch up. Eventually, they caught up. Well, come to find out, Matt had fallen off his bike. Since Matt's not really a chatty sort of person I didn't hear the details until later. Apparently, Matt was riding behind Abbie and she was swerving back and forth some and then she just stopped. Well, remember, we were on a gradual incline downhill for most of the trail. Matt quickly braked and when he did, he flew over the handlebars and tried to catch himself with his hands. He was really scratched up and bruised on his arms and legs. Later, he said that he couldn't lift his arm up and as the day wore on, it hurt more and more. It took our group several hours to complete this trail. We all had a lunch break but it took Teresa and Abbie probably an hour longer than the rest of us to get there. The rest of us finished the trail and Matt and his dad drove back to get his mom and Abbie while Sophie and I waited at the bike rental place. What a crazy day! I definitely would have done things differently if I could have. Matt and I should have gone on the bike trail sometime just by ourselves first or something.
The original reason we were meeting in Abingdon, VA was so that Matt's parents could take the girls back home with them to Virginia to spend the week. We split up after the bike ride. I drove Matt and I home because his arm was really hurting and Matt's parents drove toward Richmond, VA with the girls. The next morning I drove Matt to a clinic and we found out that he had broken his radius (one of your arm bones) near his elbow. The doctor put him in a sling and said the arm (his right arm I might add) would heal on it's own. He said that Matt would be able to use it more and more but that it would take 6-8 weeks to fully heal. It's only been a few days but Matt is already seeing some progress. The doctor told him that he could drive too with one arm. Matt had been to the doctor only a few days before because of back pain so the doctor told him that he didn't want to see him for at least a month.
Sorry for the long post! I'll try to post again soon after other summer adventures because this blog has been neglected!
It really was a beautiful trail and a lovely day but it was a crazy day for our group. Let me back up for just a second. When we were on mile 2 or 3 of the trail, Tom, Matt's dad, and I had ridden ahead a little bit. Then, we stopped and waited for a while for the others to catch up. Eventually, they caught up. Well, come to find out, Matt had fallen off his bike. Since Matt's not really a chatty sort of person I didn't hear the details until later. Apparently, Matt was riding behind Abbie and she was swerving back and forth some and then she just stopped. Well, remember, we were on a gradual incline downhill for most of the trail. Matt quickly braked and when he did, he flew over the handlebars and tried to catch himself with his hands. He was really scratched up and bruised on his arms and legs. Later, he said that he couldn't lift his arm up and as the day wore on, it hurt more and more. It took our group several hours to complete this trail. We all had a lunch break but it took Teresa and Abbie probably an hour longer than the rest of us to get there. The rest of us finished the trail and Matt and his dad drove back to get his mom and Abbie while Sophie and I waited at the bike rental place. What a crazy day! I definitely would have done things differently if I could have. Matt and I should have gone on the bike trail sometime just by ourselves first or something.
The original reason we were meeting in Abingdon, VA was so that Matt's parents could take the girls back home with them to Virginia to spend the week. We split up after the bike ride. I drove Matt and I home because his arm was really hurting and Matt's parents drove toward Richmond, VA with the girls. The next morning I drove Matt to a clinic and we found out that he had broken his radius (one of your arm bones) near his elbow. The doctor put him in a sling and said the arm (his right arm I might add) would heal on it's own. He said that Matt would be able to use it more and more but that it would take 6-8 weeks to fully heal. It's only been a few days but Matt is already seeing some progress. The doctor told him that he could drive too with one arm. Matt had been to the doctor only a few days before because of back pain so the doctor told him that he didn't want to see him for at least a month.
Sorry for the long post! I'll try to post again soon after other summer adventures because this blog has been neglected!
1 comment:
The Creeper Trail has some wonderful scenes. Loved riding or walking over the bridges. I am willing to go again but I believe I would invest in a gel pad for the bike seat. Outside of Matt's accident I thought it was a very good day. For the most part Abbie was a real trooper.
Mini
Post a Comment