Monday, May 02, 2011

American Girl Madness

Sophie in front of the American girl store



Sophie with her new doll, Molly, (L) and her other doll on right.

Sophie after dinner with Molly.

On Friday night, Matt had made reservations for us to eat at the American Girl bistro. Sophie was really excited! Neither one of our girls took a nap that day though we tried. The previous night had been a late one as we drove into Atlanta and then we had visited the aquarium the next morning. Anyway, we were all looking forward to special evening. We got there in plenty of time. Paula and Sophie looked around the store while Matt tried to keep up with Abbie who love the Bitty babies there and the strollers. Sophie immediately wanted us to grab a huge box containing one of the Molly dolls so that we could lug it through the store but I held her off for a little bit. We looked at the doll clothes, etc. She could barely contain herself but I knew they wouldn't be selling out of the doll anytime soon. Anyway, as it got closer to the time of our reservation, we made our selections and purchased Sophie's doll, alongwith a couple of outfits for her. Then, in the meantime, we tried to get the girls to go to the bathroom. Anyway, we could tell that Abbie needed to go but she refused to go with either of us.

We sit down to dinner and start ordering, etc. By the way, it is so cute, because they bring little chairs that your dolls can sit in at the table. All of a sudden, Abbie says that she needs to go to the potty and I can tell that she really has to go. I go around the table to get her and when I pick her up, she immediately starts wetting on the floor. She starts saying very loudly, "I already went pee pee." or something. I get out of there as soon as I can because I'm horrified but I know I have clothes that she can change into. I take her into the bathroom and she refuses to try to go. We go back into the restaurant and she spills Matt's water everywhere. Okay, this is getting more and more embarrassing. They have to keep coming and cleaning up our messes. We get our food and I'm thinking, "Okay, what else could possibly go wrong. We've embarrassed ourselves enough." A couple of minutes go by and then Abbie jumps up and says, "I need to go pee pee." I said, "you do?" She gets upset and says something about she already went. Now I am horrified. I check and sure enough, she's already wet through her 2nd outfit. Matt and I had to figure out a plan quickly because all I had left was a clean pull-up. I tell Matt that one of us is going to have to buy Abbie the cheapest little girl's outfit from the American Girl store that she can wear home. I go in the bathroom and come out to find Sophie waiting with a girl's pajama set that Matt had bought. By this point, I am feeling embarrassed but I'm just determined to try to get through this meal for Sophie and leave. Oh, my goodness! It was awful! A bunch of people had their daughters dressed up so cute for dinner with 2-3 dolls per child. I didn't really want to draw attention to the fact that Abbie is now wearing satiny pajama shorts and a tank top that her Daddy bought her but then they came out with a cookie for Sophie and start singing, "Happy Birthday". After that, I take Abbie to the car and have Matt get the check. I guess all that we can say is that we survived. I think it's good that it will probably be a few years before we step foot in that store again.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Sorry you had so much drama :( Sounds like the rest of the weekend was good though. I hope Sophie had a great birthday nonetheless!

Martha said...

That is so funny!! I know at the time you didn't think it was too funny, but reading it now, I'm sure you can laugh!!