Abbie made this cute little owl for me.
On March 4th, I had a big birthday-my 40th birthday or my 29th for the 11th time to be exact (just kidding). I had told Matt that I really wanted them to do something for my birthday since it was a big one. My 30th birthday was really no big deal. We had moved to Charleston and didn't know a lot of people. I think Matt was sick on my birthday that year or something. Anyway, you know how the mom in most families goes all out to make everyone else's birthday special? Well, that's how I am. Trying to prepare the birthday honoree's favorite meal, favorite cake or dessert, shopping for presents, planning a party, and on and on it goes. So, I thought, well this year, I believe it's my turn to have a little bit of a fuss made over me. I guess that sounds spoiled but I'm just being honest.
Well, anyway, a couple of weeks before my birthday, Matt told me that there was going to be a game night at church on my birthday. He told me that we were going to drop the kids off with some of our friends and then, we were going out to dinner or something. The problem was, he couldn't say it with a straight face so I didn't really believe him. I knew that they were planning something because my bossy self had sort of asked them to. =) Anyway, on the day of birthday, I got lots of nice texts, phone calls, and facebook messages, a couple of cards, etc. That afternoon though, one of our friends texted me and asked if there would be food at my party. I was just laughing when I read that message. I told her that I didn't know. I knew they were planning something but I didn't know what. She officially let the cat out of the bag. Our friend, Krista, is sweet but I guess she didn't remember that the e-mailed invitation said it was a surprise.
Anyway, that evening we headed for the church. I tried to just along with everything. The girls brought along a couple of games for the "game night". I didn't know it until later but Sophie was texting different family members to let them know we were on our way, etc. We got to our church and there were several cars but when we walked in, first I saw one of my nephews and a little cousin out in the hallway. Then, we walked on around to the reception room. It was dark in there and when we walked in, a whole bunch of people jumped out and said, "Surprise". There were about 70-75 people. I wasn't really surprised that they threw a party for me but I was surprised about how many people were there.
I was so proud of Matt and the girls because they did most of the planning. We had pizza and of course, a big birthday cake. A lot of our friends from church came and several members of our family. A couple of my college friends were there along with a few other friends. It was a lot of fun seeing all of these people who mean so much to me there. My mom had gathered up different pictures of me in different stages of life in the middle of the tables so everyone enjoyed looking at those.
After things had slowed down at the party, my mom told me that she had bought me 40 different gifts for my 40th birthday. I was pretty impressed that she did that. We loaded up our van and headed to my parents. My mom said that the girls were really excited about this idea when she brought it up. It was a lot of fun! There were 40 different gifts bags and many of them just had small things like my favorite type of candy or a cute little bar of soap, etc. What a night! I love my family and all of our friends and I was so glad that all of the ones who came were able to be there!! |
1 comment:
So glad that Matt, the girls and your family made your day so special. It looked like everyone had a great time.
Teresa
Post a Comment