| Sophie is ready to get on a trolley. |
During the week of Spring Break, we were able to get together with a couple of my friends from college, Jamie and Andrea, alongwith Jamie's children, Aaron and Abbie. My girls enjoyed playing with Abbie C. Then, on Thursday, our family headed to Memphis for a little getaway. We tried to work it out where we could go with Matt on a work-related trip but that fell through so he just took Friday off and we were able to go to Memphis Thursday afternoon. We took the girls by Graceland on Thursday evening so that we could show them where Elvis lived. Sophie's familiar with Elvis. Then, on Friday, the girls were up ready to go very early so we got there before it opened and literally, were the first guests in the gate once it opened! (our girls had trouble sleeping at the hotel and started waking up at 3:15 or so!) Abbie did go back to sleep for a while, but Sophie did not.
We had a wonderful time at the zoo though. We saw the pandas first. I love pandas, and Sophie seems to share my love. We had the panda exhibit to ourselves so it worked out great! We were also able to see grizzly bears about one foot away playing in water behind glass. We saw polar bears, penguins, a baby giraffe, cheetahs, lions, flamingoes, and many more animals that we don't have at our Nashville Zoo. We were able to see a sea lion show too. It was funny because Sophie kept wanting to take pictures of all the animals. Matt & I were impressed with all that the Memphis Zoo had added since we had been there about 8-9 years ago. The girls hung in there but did get a little tired from their rough night. That afternoon, when we left the zoo, there were very long lines to get in so we were glad that we went first thing in the morning. The girls took long naps at the hotel that afternoon and Matt & I both rested.
Friday night, we tried a local BBQ restaurant that Matt had heard about on TV. It was pretty good. Then, we headed downtown and rode the trolley around. Sophie loved seeing all of the carriages (and horses) downtown.
3 comments:
Sounds like everyone had a great time. See you soon. Mimi
Ah, you love pandas too? Me too! Your husband did something very sweet for me in college. I had gone to the Washington D.C. zoo back in middle or high school. Anyhow, I bought a pair of panda earrings there. Well, I ended up losing one of them when I wore them to church one Wednesday night. I told him the sad story sometime when we were in college. He went to D.C. for some reason and brought me back new panda bear earrings. It was very thoughtful! :) Neat that you and I both like pandas (one reason I like the ATL zoo so much).
Good catching up on your post. I can't wait until I can post about spring break...it must get here first! A week and a half left.
What fun! John and I went to the Memphis Zoo when we were dating because I wanted to see the pandas - so adorable. I'm sure the girls loved them, too.
Post a Comment